Service Club

Photo provided by Girls Council Instagram

Ellie Pearsall, Staff Writer

It is no secret that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused adjustments for all sorts of activities and clubs at Reynolds. For service clubs, such as Girls Council and Senior Girls Service Club, it is important to continue to be safe and take necessary precautions due to the pandemic, while also continuing to give back to the community. 

I joined SGSC my freshman year to find a close community of girls within RJR,” senior and president of SGSC Celia Gottlieb, said. “I was scared the upperclassmen were selling me a dream but they weren’t exaggerating and SGSC has been a major highlight of my Reynolds experience”

For many students at Reynolds, joining a service club can allow them to get involved in their community while having a fun time and meeting new people.

“My favorite part is probably the projects we do with the school, because we get to volunteer with friends at school events (like homecoming) and sometimes work together with other service clubs, which is always fun,” junior Leah Stitzel said.

These clubs are adjusting in order to keep their members and community safe, while transitioning into other forms of service.

“We are changing due to COVID-19 because our group can not get together to do projects so everyone is having to work from home” senior Girls Council president Elizabeth Marshall said.  “In addition to that, the projects that we are doing have to be creative so everyone can do them independently.”    

Gottlieb expresses that while they miss participating in typical service projects that SGSC is used to, they are finding alternatives. 

“Unfortunately we haven’t been able to do the hands-on projects that we love to do and we can’t be on campus so we’ve tried to get creative with what we can be doing,” Gottlieb said. “We’ve been holding different drives for goods and are focusing on being safe community members by social distancing.” 

Marshall says that GC will likely be participating in projects that are distanced such as writing letters to old folks in retirement homes.

“I think that delivering things such as food and clothes by mail to others would be COVID-19 friendly,” sophomore Caroline Echols said.

Even during these difficult and unprecedented times, the service clubs at Reynolds are committed to giving back and remaining positive.