Online School Blues

Photo provided by Grace Wilson

Grace Wilson, Staff Writer

As online school kicks into full fruition, students and teachers are readjusting to the new normal. Due to the current pandemic, learning has turned completely virtual, exposing the drawbacks and risks of school through a screen.

One of the many consequences of this school experience is blue light pollution. Blue light is the wavelength of light radiated from the screens of computers and other electronics. Excessive exposure to this light can be extremely harmful to human health. It can have negative effects on sleep cycles, cause eye strain and induce headaches. With an increase of students and teachers using their computers to engage in online school, the risk of exposure to this light pollution is much higher. However, the use of blue light glasses has been effective in reducing this pollution. 

“I have been getting bad headaches during the day so when I heard about blue light glasses, I figured I might as well try them,” senior Audrey Nelson said. “My headaches have decreased significantly after wearing them and when I do have them, they are not nearly as bad.”

Nelson is among many students at RJ Reynolds High School who have tried using these glasses as a solution for the negative effects of blue light. This problem is not only affecting students but teachers as well. 

“I purchased a pair for school this year because I knew I would be spending a lot of time staring at a screen,” history teacher Troy Colvard said. “I think they are worth a try, they aren’t very expensive and for some people it seems to make a huge difference. I think students are already tired of staring at a computer all day because you’re not up and moving around much like you do at a brick and mortar school.”

The experience of online school can feel draining. Not only has virtual learning negatively impacted the physical health of students and teachers but their mental health as well. 

“Students being trapped in their homes all day is an exhausting cycle,” senior Joseph Woodruff said. “Everyday feels like the last and I think it can have really negative effects on mental health. Many parts of school are social and that is not something that can be recreated online.”

Teachers have tried implementing ways to virtually create a more social environment such as breakout rooms and group projects. However, it is difficult to make connections with your peers when you cannot interact in person. Without sports, the arts or just seeing your friends in the hallway, online school can feel extremely isolating.  

Luckily, more physical problems like blue light pollution have easy solutions such as glasses to block the pollution, however, the mental effects of online learning do not have the same solutions. Hopefully as the school adjusts and becomes more familiar with this new form of school, it will be easier to combat its issues.