The Tragedy of the RJR Math Department

Katie Reynolds, A/E Editor

By Katie Reynolds

In this day and age, there is generally a consensus among high school students that math is not an enjoyable subject. It is confusing, tedious and often people’s most difficult subject. Many students supplement their learning with a weekly math tutor, in order to get the help they need. Although some teachers may offer after school tutoring, many students do not find it especially helpful, or are unable to attend due to other conflicts. At R.J. Reynolds, my peers and I have agreed, there is something going on with the math department.

If you took honors Math II in 2015, you probably remember the commotion regarding the class. Students were given a teacher, who unfortunately did not meet anyone’s needs in regards to a math education. Second semester we were provided with a new teacher, who bravely attempted to teach students a years worth of material in half that time.

I do not mean to blame the math teachers, per se, but rather to point out a flaw in the system. Math teachers are getting more and more difficult to find, especially in the North Carolina school system; North Carolina is considered one of the worst five states in terms of teacher salary. Students being dissatisfied with their math education is simply a result of the way teachers are treated.

Speaking personally, I must admit that I am taking Pre-calculus for the second year in a row. Not because I failed, but rather because I did not feel prepared to continue onto a higher math class, fearing I would simply bomb every test that came my way and that I would be so lost there would be no point of return.

Math teachers are often switched around at Reynolds, sometimes unexpectedly. The Pre-Calculus teacher during the 17-18 school year was planning on retiring, giving the school ample time to find a qualified replacement and a good fit for Reynolds students. I walked into my second first-day of Pre-Calculus, hoping to finally understand the material and pass the year with high grades.

My dreams had come true, I finally had a math teacher with a teaching style that I understood, enjoyed even. I received a 94 on my first test, a step up from my previous year. And then, that great feeling disappeared. Rumors started that my math teacher had quit suddenly, and a substitute teacher was now in his place. My worst fears were confirmed. My teacher had accepted a job in a county closer to his home.

My class now suffers through a rotating list of substitutes, some with math experience and some without. Other math teachers offer us support, allowing us to come to their classes after school for any additional help. Everyday, people question when the new teacher will be hired. Rumors differ, some saying a new teacher has already been hired and is just going through human resources. Some say that there has been no teacher hired yet, and there are up to three candidates still being considered.

This in no way meant to be an insult to the hardworking math teachers at Reynolds, especially to those who have kindly offered us teacher-less students support in this time of need. The system is flawed, and steps should be taken in order for students to receive the education they need for the future. College math professors will not go over four years of high school math for those who were left behind. We, the students of Reynolds, simply ask for what we need.