Pine Whispers

Comments (10)

All Pine Whispers Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

michaelSep 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

i think that the stadium should be built

Reply
  • J

JordanSep 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

Nobody complains about Wake Forest so get over it with Reynolds.

Reply
  • AnonymousSep 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

i agree there will be trafiic for a grnad total of …….five nights a year why is that such a big deal?

Reply
  • D

DinaireSep 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

I think a stadium would benefit R.J.Reynolds and the community too.

Reply
  • J

JackSep 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

This is a good article. The stadium is a good idea and should be allowed. Who cares about a little traffic. This new stadium will do so much for the Reynolds community.

Reply
  • K

KatieSep 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

I liked reading both sides of the story. Well written!

Reply
  • AnonymousSep 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

i agree, BRING THE STADIUM HOME!!!!

Reply
  • ^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Sep 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

I agree with that^^^

Reply
  • AnonymousSep 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

I enjoy being kept up to date on the events of the Home Stadium movement. As a student at RJR a home stadium would be a great addition to our school, almost necessary even. A huge part of the high school experience is the home advantage, something we as RJR students don’t have.

Reply
  • H

HenrySep 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

From the Home Field Advantage Facebook page: 7 Misconceptions About the Stadium

////////////////////////////////////

1 “The stadium will destroy Hanes Park.”
    The proposed stadium site is not in the park, but on WS/FCS property. The running track, tennis courts, playground, soccer fields and baseball fields will not be altered in any way with the addition of the stadium. The proposed site is adjacent to the park and every effort is being make to make sure the stadium will be an positive addition to the area keeping the history of the schools and the park in mind.

2 “The stadium will cost taxpayers money”
    The stadium will be built entirely with private funds. The long-term maintenance of the facility will be the responsibility of the WS/FCS but most will be covered by funds currently allocated to the multiple facilities R.J. Reynolds High School is required to use as a result of not having a home field.

3 “The stadium will be controlled by a private group once it’s built.”
    Once built, the stadium will be the property of the WS/FC Schools and use of the stadium for anything other than school activities will be at the discretion of the WS/FCS School Board as it is with other school property.

4 “The stadium takes away from education.”
    The funds raised to build the stadium will be from private donors and not from public money earmarked for educational programs, teacher salaries, books, etc. In addition, no private funds will be diverted from education to the stadium.

5 “The stadium lights will be too bright.”
    Currently the Hanes Park tennis court lights in the center of the park, are on all week, year round until approximately 10:00 pm. The lights at the stadium will be used on average approximately once a week and will utilize the latest lighting technology which creates less glare and are more energy efficient than older lights.

6 “The stadium doesn’t offer adequate parking.”
    A preliminary parking study shows that there is parking available for 1100 – 2200 cars within 1/3 of a mile radius. Car to person ratio is well within the current city requirements. Parking can be accommodated on site and in nearby shared parking lots and not require parking on streets in area neighborhoods.

7 “The stadium will use up valuable public green space.”
    The site of the proposed stadium is currently occupied by a school bus parking lot, old school trailers, and sloping land that is degrading from water run off. This land is not currently utilized by Wiley Middle School or R.J. Reynolds High School students. Since the property for the proposed stadium is on land owned by the school system, it is not considered public land or park land, therefore Hanes Park green space is not being used.

Reply
Activate Search
The Student News Site of RJ Reynolds High School
Stadium debate increases in intensity