AIS Marley Tolton

Anson Walldorf, Staff Writer

By Anson Walldorf

Marley Tolton is known as a beam of light in the classroom and on the stage by his friends and classmates. Tolton has been singing with the RJ Reynolds all men’s a cappella group, “A cafellas,” since his freshman year of high school.

Tolton has become a standout tenor for the RJR group, which is well known and respected across North Carolina. He has always been a gifted singer.

“I have loved singing and music my whole life. I started singing when I was five,” Tolton said.

Anyone around Tolton will quickly learn of his natural ability and love for singing. Tolton and the ‘Fellas’ competed last winter in the Internation Championship of High School A cappella (ICHSA). The group placed fourth in the southern quaterfinals.

“His unique voice really adds a new element of what accafellas needs,” a cappella member Simba Mushyamunda Commented. “He strengthens the group as a whole and we all really appreciate it.”

People may also recognize Marley for singing the national anthem at Winston-Salem Dash baseball games.

“He brings a lot of positivity to the stage and the classroom,” said senior Fellas member Wills Woodruff.

Tolton has not only excelled on the stage but as a student and athlete as well. Marley is the starting goalie for the men’s lacrosse team and recently committed to play at Guilford College.

“I am planning on going to Guilford College to play lacrosse and major in business management,” Tolton said.

He does not plan on pursuing a cappella in college but he does plan to continue to pursue his overall love for music. He has always enjoyed making music with friends in his freetime.

Tolton will miss the experiences that he has had with a cappella and his classmates. The extra hours outside of school with the Fellas has given him some great memories.  

“I will mainly miss Acafellas and all the good times that happen while making music,” Tolton said. “My best memory so far was the entire night of competition, from the six hours of rehearsal, to performing and then getting robbed out of advancing.”

Tolton will be deeply missed next year at RJR by his classmates, teachers, fellow members of acafellas and teammates. He will go on to do great things in the future as a student athlete at Guilford College and as a musician.