New teachers, new talent

Kimia Ashraf, Staff Writer

By Kimia Ashraf

With the 2018-2019 school year in full swing, many students are noticing several changes, from the parking lot differences to new faces around campus. This year, RJR is welcoming twenty-four new staff members to their team, including eleven academic mentors.

Emloyment opportunies were taken advantage of by many, including English I teacher Lacy Martin.

“I was looking for jobs over the Summer and saw the posting… Reynolds is close to where I live and my best friend came to this high school, Martin said. “We joked all through college about how I was going to end up teaching here. The job posted… So I applied!”

Ms. Martin is not the only one who took advantage of an RJR job posting. . She is joined by two other new teachers in the english department: Ms. Kennedy and Mr. Hunt.

When asked about her teaching philosophy, Martin answered with enthusiasm.

“Normally it’s all humor… just keep it lighthearted, keep it fun, and we’ll go from there,” Martin said. “My best advice for students is just to show up, come prepared, and do your best every day. Even if something might not turn out the way you want, you should always try your hardest.”

Ms. Martin, as well as several other new teachers, regularly incorporate humor into their lessons to keep their students relatively stress-free.

Out of all academic departments at RJR, the math department has expanded the most with the addition of Mr. Jones, Mr. West, Mr. Harrigan, Ms. Cochran and Ms. Adams.

In additon to new teachers, many educators who have been teaching at RJR before have shifted levels or subjects, one of them being Mr. Lanier, who moved from Math I to Precalculus this year.

“Mr. Lanier is a good teacher because he is capable of effectively teaching students of all skill levels and grades,” sophomore Melody Moossavi said. “He pays attention to everyone in the classroom.”

Many people in the Reynolds community are appreciative of the new Assistant Principal intern Quinn Robins’ addition to campus. Mr. Robins has been shadowing to prepare to eventually take on a larger role in years to come. The main office as well as student services office have become much more efficient and effective with new faculty in long-standing office rules.

Students and faculty alike are looking forward to the new changes and new talent brought to our campus this year.