2018 Fall Trends

2018 Fall Trends

Katie Reynolds, A/E Editor

By Katie Reynolds

Fall: Everyone’s favorite season when it comes to style. Fall is the season of layering, muted colors and statement outerwear. So what is in this fall season? (“In” being defined as what is shown on the runways for the Fall/Winter 2018 season, which sets standards for what brands will be putting out that season.)

Temperatures drop, meaning outerwear is now back to being part of everyone’s day-to-day wear. The flashier and bolder the coat, the better. Think shaggy fur coats a la 70’s rugs, enormously oversized coats and the classic blanket coat. Shearling is in, so go with a shearling coat in bold colors to stray away from the average boring brown. Animal print is in, not one single animal being excluded. These busy prints can be worn as a statement piece for a monochromatic look, or try styling animal print from head to toe in order to turn heads.

Unfortunately, the beloved millennial pink is now out, and 80’s style hot pink is the new it-color this season. Along with hot pink comes the rest of the 80’s neon colors, great for statement accessories, or if you feel like blinding anyone you come across, a full neon look. If bright neons are not your thing, try burnt orange, a more muted color that can be just as much of a statement if styled right.

This fall season is also the time to shine, sequins and high gloss patent leather in bright pastels are no longer just for evening wear, think New Years Eve outfit for an everyday look. Colored sunglass lenses are in, so you can be seeing through rose-colored lenses in either a Bella Hadid-esque tiny frame, or the classic early 2000’s oversized look. Midi skirts are the perfect transition piece for warmer days; pair with heeled sock boots for a more put-together look, or chunky sneakers to dress it down.

All of these fall trends do not mean you have to pack away all of your beloved summer clothes, as many of the summer trends are living on, just in a revamped way. Menswear check prints will continue to be in style, along with floral dresses. If you find your summer clothes are not weather-appropriate, try layering your summer pieces with a warm twist. Layer thin mock neck long sleeves under floral sundresses, or simply add stockings and a jacket to any look that may leave you feeling chilly.

As an arts magnet school, Reynolds High School has many students that prefer to keep their style unique, letting their clothes be an expression of their personality. Junior Olivia McNair is just one student that tries to put a personal twist on trends.

“I can’t say that I really hate any trends, they give me a lot of inspiration,” McNair said. “From mainstream trends you see everyone wearing, I try to take those ideas and make it into something weirder that would make me stand out.”

During the fall, McNair is sure to stand out against the sea of muted colors walking through the hallways.

“100% of the time I will have a bright color on so during the fall it gets a little tricky for what colors to wear,” McNair said. “I hope bright warm colors will become trendy this fall, mainly because that’s all I wear.”

Photo Provided by Creative Commons