XC Recap & Indoor Track Preview

John Paynter, Sports Editor

By John Paynter

After losing nationally ranked cross country runner John Tatter, the RJR men’s cross country team seemed to have an uphill battle with both West Forsyth and Reagan seeded ahead of them in the preseason rankings.

Contrary to this, the team had a strong start to the season placing third at The Jungle Run, putting their top five runners under 18 minutes.

The team has a strong young presence with one freshman, Will Gardner, and two sophomores, Bo Dalrymple and David Nicholson, who have joined the varsity squad.

“I have had a really good cross country season,” Nicholson said. “It’s been great to be a part of a successful varsity team.”

The team, despite some hindering injuries, had a very strong end to the season scoring the Conference Championship title and placing third at the Regional Championship. In both races, junior Jack Holbrook and senior John Paynter crossed the line in first and second place.

“Overall the team did very well this season,” head cross country and track coach David Wainwright said. “We always shoot to outperform expectations, and we did that again this year.”

The women’s cross country team also had a successful season qualifying freshman Anna Davis for the State Championship meet. Davis was the first Reynolds girl to qualify and race at the state meet since 2012. Davis placed 66th overall and was the ninth freshman to cross the line.

After a long cross country season, athletes and coaches alike look forward to a strong track season as two new assistant coaches join the team. Coach Major Whitaker, a JROTC teacher at Reynolds, will coach the short-distance team. Returning coach, Jeff George, will help coach the sprint team and distance team as well.

“We are extremely excited to have the new coaches join us this track season.” Wainwright said. “Major Whitaker brings some 30 years of coaching experience and has competed nationally in the 400 meter dash. Coach George is an expert on the science of training and will really help develop a strong team”

While work ethic and team unity are on the forefront, the team also hopes to put a competitive foot forward in the state meet. This will be a challenge, as the team’s two state champion athletes, Mekhi Dunlap and John Tatter have graduated. However, given the potential of the group, an extremely competitive team is not out of the question.

“Our whole team could develop in a really big way,” Wainwright added. “We want to make this team a state-wide track powerhouse.”

Only time will tell what the team is capable of this season. After a coaching change last year, the Demons are lucky to have two extremely experienced coaches to help get the team to maximize its potential.