Wake Forest Football Preview

Wake Forest Football Preview

Adam Budd, Staff Writer

By Adam Budd

Wake Forest football had a very successful season last year going 8-5, ending with a thrilling 55-52 win over Texas A&M in the Belk Bowl to cap off their great year. It was their second straight season with a bowl game win, defeating Temple in the Military Bowl, 34-26 the previous year. The 8-5 record also signifies their best season since 2008.

“Great coaching, hard nosed smart play, and a magical season from our quarterback, John Wolford.”  RJ Reynolds English teacher Rodney Allen said when asked what led to the Demon Deacon’s success on the field.

Last year’s star quarterback, John Wolford, graduated last year which leaves a hole in the quarterback position. Wolford was a leader for the team, it will open a spot for junior Kendall Hinton to step up after his three game team rule suspension is over. They will need a solid season from him in order to live up to expectations.

While last season is considered a success by many of their fans, there is still plenty of room for improvement going forward. Fans are optimistic for the upcoming year, but also understand the challenges of winning games.

“I think if they avoid injuries and play hard every week, they should have another good year.” RJR sophomore Ty Fansler said.

The Demon Deacons opened up their season with a 23-17 overtime win vs Tulane. It was a close game the whole way through but Wake Forest narrowly avoided the upset when it came down to the wire.

The Demon Deacons followed that subpar performance up the next week in their home opener with a 51-20 win over the Towson Tigers. Sophomore wide receiver Greg Dortch had an electrifying game that included two punt return touchdowns, many consider Dortch to be one of the most exciting players in college football right now.

Looking ahead, the Demon Deacons face a lot of strong opponents, most notably the Clemson Tigers on October 6.. The 2016 College Football Playoff champions are annually in the conversation for the best team in the nation. The Demon Deacons have not beaten the Tigers since 2008 and will be looking to pull off an upset.

“I believe we have a shot to pull off an upset…and if we play well we are capable of surprising anyone.” Allen said.

This year’s team is loaded with talent and is now starting to build confidence, a recipe for success. The Demon Deacons will be on a lot of people’s radar after backing up a successful season with a 2-0 start. They definitely have high expectations and will be looking to outperform them yet again.

Photo provided by Creative Commons.