Ignite the fire: you can’t extinguish Nick Hampton

Photo provided by Nick Hampton

Nick Hampton (Right) and his father Hippie Hampton (left) both participated in the High Point Fire Department climb to remember; a 9/11 stair climb to remember the fallen first responders.

Rose Doss, Staff Writer

When you think of your average student, you usually think about schoolwork, the occasional sports, extracurricular activities, and maybe a job. Usually, most don’t think about a D1 athlete who regularly volunteers at a fire station. 

Nick Hampton is a student-athlete who not only participates in school lacrosse but in competitive travel lacrosse as well. He will continue lacrosse at St. Johns in New York City college career; a full ride. 

“I’ve been able to travel up and down the east coast, being able to play, which has been awesome to meet a bunch of people that I never would have been able to meet,” Hampton said. “Also just giving me the experience and ability to play in college.”

This sport has provided Hampton with new ways to deal with stress by putting all energy into the game. It also allows him to do what he loves with the people he loves, which is very important to him.    

“The sport means so much to me, and is a key part of my life,” Hampton said. “It’s a way for me to solve problems and clear my head, travel around with some of my closest friends, and is a pillar I can always rely on.”

Although Hampton’s life has been centered around lacrosse, he has made many connections and friendships. Newly joining the school as a senior can be difficult, especially when coming onto a new sports team with new people, but Hampton fitted right in. 

“High school lacrosse has impacted my life by creating friendships and memories I will never forget, whether it’s 6 a.m. Saturday practices, bus rides after a win, or just being around the team,” Hampton said.

Not only is Hampton a full-time lacrosse player, but he also volunteers for hours at the High Point Fire Department. He does this with his dad, who is also the volunteer fire chief.     

“Working with my dad has made our relationship ten times better because it gives us something we can bond over and talk about,” Hampton said. “It has helped me find even more respect for how hard he has worked.”

Volunteer firefighting is something they have been doing together since Hampton was fifteen. 

“Growing up my dad has always been a firefighter so I have always been around the firehouse, so it’s always been a goal and dream of mine since I was little to ride on a firetruck,” Hampton said. “Now that he is actually the chief, it’s been a lot easier and a lot more fun. It’s something I can do with him.”

Hampton’s father, Hippie Hampton, is a very charismatic figure, extremely welcoming and friendly. His dad’s attributes are manifested in Hampton and who he is today; following in his footsteps and inspired by his dad’s work ethic.     

“Absolutely, I’m proud of the kid,” Hippie Hampton said. “He is juggling a lot.” 

Hampton participates in school lacrosse, travel lacrosse, volunteer fire fighting, extracurricular activities, and school. Although he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders, Hampton loves the challenge.     

“But he does a good job of that, and so I think you’ve got to be proud of that because he’s basically juggling two and a half to three full-time jobs,” Hippie Hampton said. 

Hampton has the ability to multitask, balance multiple activities, and hold onto relationships, which is beyond impressive.     

“School always comes first, then lacrosse, and then the fire department just because I’ve gotta get the grades to keep my scholarship, and then lacrosse,” Hampton said. “I have to keep physically getting ready for college…and the fire department is something I can put on the back burner. Being able to manage it over time has been easier and figuring out time management is the most important thing.” 

Hampton has many goals he wants to achieve to make him the person he wants to be.

“I’m always wanting to be a better student, a better athlete, and a better member of my community,” Hampton said. “It’s trying to understand what I need to do to get better.”

Nick Hampton has a complex life where he juggles more than the average high school student…but he wouldn’t have it any other way. Continuing his lacrosse career, he will carry on with his passion for the sport and continue to participate in the Fire Department. From a D1 Lacrosse player to a fire-fighting Volunteer, he truly is doing amazing things to better his community and his self-development.