Demon Deliveries Dash to the Door

Photo provided by Rose Doss

Student Caroline Lovett walks back to class as she just enjoyed a delightful meal of Door Dashed McDonald’s.

Rose Doss, Staff Writer

Having just made an order on DoorDash, the bell rings for lunch. Hastily walking down to the food pickup spot, a student expectantly watches the driver get closer and closer on the app until finally the food is delivered. The overwhelming smell of fried deliciousness fills the air, grumbling the student’s stomach. Lunch has been served. 

“It was easy, streamlined, and efficient.” Guidance Counselor Nicole Beale said.    

For the most part, the delivery is very easy and doesn’t pose a  big problem. 

“The guy who had brought me my food had already brought food for some kids that day so he knew where and what he was doing,” Student Caroline Lovett said. “He was already saying he was going to go to the spot where the sign was and asked me what I was wearing so he could spot me out of the group. He was pretty experienced in what he was doing.”  

Some of the drivers have had experience delivering to the school and know how to communicate with the students to make sure the delivery is seamless. A communicative and understanding driver creates an easy experience for both the driver and the student.

The designated pickup spot, signified by a sign that quotes ‘food delivery,’ does the job, but others think there should be some changes to make deliveries easier on the drivers. 

“The sign has a random arrow on it, and where is that pointing? What’s the point? I feel the sign could be more efficiently designed to make a little bit more sense,” Lovett said. “When I first saw it, I thought they had to pull into the little circle, but they just pull over. I feel a new sign could be designed, so things are a little bit less confusing.”

There is also a safety concern when choosing a location for a food area. Before, many students were not safe and continuously made poor choices putting themselves in danger. 

“Students were dashing out into the road to get their food which is too terrifying because there is a terrible curve right there,” Beale said. “I like the fact that it’s away from students, but away from the main road.”

When school is in session, many worry about campus safety. DoorDash drivers are seen walking around the campus confused, not knowing where to go and who to give their food to. 

“I think that anything we can do on such an open campus to try and keep this campus to students is worth the effort,” Beale said.

According to students, they are confident that their food will be safe and untouched by the drivers.    “When you think about it, that’s when you get your food anywhere; those people just want their tip and their money,” Lovett said “I don’t think they really care enough to mess with my food. There’s always the risk because it is a stranger, but people interact with strangers every day so what’s the difference?”

Ordering food at school comes with its different risks. If stomachs are grumbling, DoorDashing food is convenient and satisfying. Making sure the pickup indication is more prompt or just directing the delivery driver may be the difference between eating in the cafeteria or a nice hot chicken sandwich. Safety is an essential part of school and keeping DoorDash contained will ensure it stays accessible to students. So make sure to order on time and don’t forget to tip your drivers!