Senior feature: Grace Wilson

Photo provided by Grace Wilson

Photo provided by Grace Wilson

Lia Blackard, Online Editor

RJ Reynolds senior Grace Wilson has been such a joy around campus. She is the co-president and founder of the Ronald McDonald House service club, a varsity lacrosse manager, a member of the academic team, a member of Girls Council service club, and in the National Honors Society. On top of that, she recently joined the Pine Whispers writing staff this year. 

Photo provided by Grace Wilson

AP United States History teacher at Reynolds, John Clevenger, has gotten to see Wilson shine not only as a student but as a friend during his time teaching her last year.

Grace was an outstanding student,” Clevenger said. “She has a quiet confidence in which she approaches the subject matter. Grace’s friends know and trust her opinion and admire her confidence.  She will leave a legacy of steadfastness with her peers and RJR High School.”

Wilson will be attending the University of Virginia (UVA) in the fall, a school she has dreamed about going to since she was little. 

UVA has always been my dream school,” Wilson said. “My dad went there so I have grown up visiting Charlottesville and going to football games, etc. I plan to major in Global Studies/International Relations or something in foreign policy. I’m super excited to go to UVA because I will be close to Washington DC which will be nice as an International Relations major.”

RJ Reynolds English teacher, Ruth Sartin, has also gotten to know Wilson well through sponsoring the Ronald McDonald House club they founded. 

I first met Grace when she and Caroline Kindsvater approach me about sponsoring the Ronald McDonald House club,” Sartin said. “I was very impressed that they were Sophomores and had so much initiative. Grace had volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House on her own and saw an opportunity for RJR students to get involved.”

This unique teacher-student relationship has allowed Sartin to see characteristics of Wilson as a person, not just a student in the classroom.

Photo provided by Grace Wilson

“Grace is a natural leader as she embodies essential qualities such as empathy, maturity and dedication,” Sartin said. “Grace will thrive when she heads off to the University of Virginia.”

Clevenger has high hopes for Wilson at UVA. He is confident she is a person capable of incredible things.

I hope that Grace will continue to grow and mature into the remarkable young woman that she is capable of becoming,” Clevenger said. “I hope that she will continue to work at improving this world and that she will involve herself with worthwhile causes both personally and in a supportive community.”

Wilson has been an amazing student, leader, and friend to have on campus. Everyone is excited to see and support her as she takes on new challenges and embarks on this next chapter of her life at her dream school.