Reynolds resilience

Photo provided by Caroline McConnico

Caroline McConnico, Staff Writer

Resilience: The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties. Not only does this word apply so well to the world we live in right now but it is also the theme of this Reynolds school year. In order to convey the importance of being resilient to the student body, the Pulitzer Center held a virtual Reynolds Resilience Talk with guest speaker independent journalist Melba Newsome, allowing her to give students advice on being strong and breaking the tides, while also shining a light on underreported stories in the community. 

“One story can break the tide of what is happening,” Newsome said. “Stories that are underreported usually have the biggest impact on the community.”

Students that were selected for this incredible opportunity watched and listened intently, soaking up the greatness of being in her virtual presence. 

“One of the most impactful things she talked about was her job,” sophomore Addison Truzy said. “Getting up almost everyday to write stories about people who are in situations that aren’t talked about enough. Even when times get hard, she still makes an effort to push through.”

As her own boss, Newsome has struggled in the past when writing stories that are difficult in regards to abandoning bias. 

“Writer’s block is a luxury I can’t afford,” Newsome answered in response to one of Truzy’s questions regarding the journalism nightmare. “Reading other stories can be very helpful and provides me with insight on my own story. Talking to people that are different from me also helps me write and avoid bias.”

Newsome’s advice and inspiring stories left students feeling ready to accomplish anything.

“When I left the talk, I was ready to conquer the world,” Truzy said. “I am so excited to do more for the community and it made me so much more hopeful that we can improve, especially at a time like this.”

The more Newsome talked about her evolution as a journalist and as a valuable member of her community, students looked more and more up to her, feeling a sense of connectedness through their computer screens. 

“She has inspired me to break out of the box and do more creative things I would not normally do,” freshman Sarah Welsh said. “Hearing about the articles she writes and how news has made an impact on her life has made me interested in reading the news for myself and not just for a class assignment.” 

Welsh believes that Reynolds students, staff, and parents can all learn from Newsome’s powerful talk. 

“I think that Reynolds students and staff should make an effort to post and show more about underreported stories whether that be on social media, during class, or even talking about it at a sports game or club,” Welsh said. “These examples will allow the message to get out there and gain popularity, while also allowing Melba’s story of resilience to be shared among many.”

Looking forward, Newsome encourages the Reynolds community to be brave and to look for the stories that are not always the most obvious. 

“You are going to have to talk to people by putting them in an uncomfortable situation,” Newsome said. “The best stories are always in the worst places.”