Sophomore Abigail Rice wins all-conference

Robert Hill

RJR vs Davie County on Tuesday, January 19, 2021, at Bryson Gym, RJ Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem, NC. (Photo by Robert Hill)

Lia Blackard, Online Editor

The RJ Reynolds varsity girls basketball team had a great season this year and sophomore Abigail Rice was a big part of it. As it was her second year playing, she used her experience to help her have a very successful season. She has a strong work ethic, good leadership skills, and is a powerhouse on the court which is how she got to be an all-conference player this year. 

Our conference is filled with highly talented women and the competition is fierce,” Rice said. “It’s an honor to be recognized and to represent our team.”

Rice earned this title with all of her after hours in the gym and off-season workouts. 

“She practices a lot outside of our normal scheduled practices,” sophomore Mallory Bossong said. “Every year she comes back faster and stronger. I think this season she has become more confident and doesn’t get down on herself for making little mistakes, instead, she uses them as motivation to get better.”

RJR vs Davie County on Tuesday, January 19, 2021, at Bryson Gym, RJ Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem, NC. (Photo by Robert Hill) (Robert Hill)

All this hard work has been with the help of Reynolds coaches. They have spent numerous hours working with her and helping her to become the strong player she is today. 

“All of the coaching staff, especially Coach Eggers, have dedicated a lot of time and effort into working with me,” Rice said. “Continuing to develop my skills, mentality, and overall athleticism.”

Her game has improved tremendously since last season and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. But her leadership skills have also developed since her freshman year. She brings a fresh perspective to the sport and is constantly encouraging and leading her teammates toward success.

“Abby brings an intense joy to the game,” Eggers said. “She works hard in practice and in games and it makes the other girls want to work harder. She leads by example and lifts her teammates up. Not to mention she’s willing to take the big shot in crunch time which all leaders have to be willing to do.”

Rice has become a player all her teammates admire and trust, in just two short seasons.

Having [Abigail] on the team was so fun!” senior Murphy Andrews said. “She’s always full of energy and ready to play whenever! She’s been working hard in pre-season workouts and in practice. She has gotten a lot stronger and more confident with the ball this year. I think she’s a great leader and I’m so thankful she’s on the team!”

Rice has a big future ahead of her. If given the opportunity, she would love to play basketball in college or maybe become a coach.  

“Basketball will always be a part of my life in one shape or form and I can definitely see myself coaching,” Rice said. 

Eggers is working with Abigail to help her be able to play basketball in college. He is helping expand her skill set and grow into the best possible player and teammate she can be.

RJR vs East Surry on Monday, January 11, 2021, at Bryson Gym, RJ Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem, NC. (Photo by Robert Hill) (Robert Hill)

“This year I encouraged her to play travel basketball with a really high end program that will give her valuable in game experience against quality competition in front of college coaches,” Eggers said. “Also, I take any opportunity to tell her how good she is and how good she can be. I hold her to those standards and she keeps reaching them, so I keep raising them higher. Abby is a truly special person and has a chance to be a very special player.  I feel very blessed to be a part of her growth as a player and a person.”

Rice is just getting started so look out next season because she will be stronger and better than ever.