Dancing Boots Downtime!

Emma Stuart Satterfield, Online Editor

The 2020-2021 RJ Reynolds Dancing Boots are back and better than ever! In a world where masks, online school and a requirement of staying six feet apart did not become the new normal, the boots would be practicing and performing at Reynolds. Due to the pandemic, this has all changed.

Seniors Ansley Oakes, Caroline St. Clair and Ariana Carson are the three Co-Captains of this year’s Boots team. The Co-Captains responsibilities are to run practices, ensure everyone learns the new dances and prepare girls to the best of their ability to feel confident on the sidelines of football games and halftime shows 

Ansley Oakes has been a part of the boots for three years. 

“What I love about being a part of the Boots is that I am able to do what I love, with my teammates that I love, to support a school that we love!” Oakes said. 

Due to Covid-19 the Boots have not been able to meet in person and practice for upcoming events. Normally the dancers would be practicing for weekly football games, homecoming and halftime shows with the RJ Reynolds Band. 

“As of right now we are focusing on bonding as a team and learning our sideline dances for football via videos,” Oakes said. 

Since the Boots can not meet in person, what the future holds for their year is unknown, a schedule has not been finalized. 

Catie Reece has been coaching the Dancing Boots for 11 years. She is very passionate about her job and enjoys every moment of dancing with the girls.

“Caroline, Ansley and Adriana are amazing leaders for such a bizarre time that we are currently living in,” Reece said. “They are working hard to keep the team as motivated as they can through virtual learning.” 

Teaching through Zoom is a challenge for every teacher and student participating. Dance is a way of socialization through human contact so learning this through zoom is extremely challenging. 

“I often feel like I am dancing alone in my living room because it is so quiet and many students aren’t comfortable enough in front of their screens to walk across and unmute themselves,” Reece said. “This is a challenge.” 

The newest Dancing Boots this year are Sarah Welsh, Olivia Faircloth, Annie Fulk, Ava Ginn and Sarah Greco. Ginn has been dancing at RJ Reynolds since freshman year and she loves everyone in the dance department. 

“I wanted to become a boot not only to help improve my dancing but to have the opportunity to show my school spirit through the team,” Ginn said. “All of my teammates are super supportive, energetic and passionate about what they do.”

Despite the unknown future regarding Covid-19, the Boots continue bringing about RJR school spirit through their dancing and always have a smile on their faces!