Another Demon Szn

Mercer Sullivan, Managing Editor

After their states run last season, the varsity boys’ basketball team is preparing to get back in action this month. The varsity team made it to the final four in the state tournament last year where they faced West Charlotte in Hickory, North Carolina. 

The boys’ team has played a key role in uniting the student body; having a successful basketball team is a way to get students united in a common goal. Our student section in Bryson Gym is on the baseline which sets the team apart. This is a big home court advantage for the boys. 

“It allows them [the student body] to have fun with us,” senior captain Tobias Johnson said. “By having a strong basketball team it brings a bigger fan base and the student section being in front of the goal brings a different type of energy to the gym and the players.”

Bryson Gym has not seen any changes since the 1960s. The bleachers proximity to the court gives Reynolds a distinct advantage over other schools because it is something teams cannot prepare for in practice. However it is only an advantage if the student body comes to support. 

“Teams we play do not have bleachers under the basket so its something they can’t prepare for in practices,” Athletic Director Brad Fisher said. “It’s intimidating to players to try and shoot a free throw with the game on the line and have that in their line of sight. But if students are not there at the game, then that advantage is lost and it hurts the RJR teams.”

Last year the team hosted Myers Park in the elite eight at Reynolds. This game was a nail-biter where the ninth seeded Demons defeated the twelfth seeded Mustangs 83-79 by closing a 15 point deficit in the fourth quarter. This took the boys to Hickory where they fell to six seeded West Charlotte, 85-51. 

Moving forward, with the loss of several key seniors, the team is focusing on building chemistry with the newcomers and this seasons seniors are working to lead the boys on another states run. 

“Being a leader and building chemistry is first off gelling with the younger guys and new add ons to the team,” Johnson said. “Not only is it creating a relationship with them but also being a second coach to them.”

Going into this upcoming season, the team is looking forward with a target on their back. Not only are they entering ninth in the state but they are the team to beat in the Piedmont Triad.

“But the boys team will not be sneaking up on anyone this year,” Fisher said. “We are the top team not only in the county but the triad, so they know they will get every other teams best shot.”