AOM: Bowen breaks opposition

Elizabeth Youssef, Editor-in-Chief

Robert Hill

Senior Libby Bowen has been playing lacrosse since the sixth grade when she got her start playing at Forsyth Country Day School. Bowen started playing for Panthers Lacrosse Club (PLC) later on that year and has played year-round for PLC since then.

Bowen’s speciality for Reynolds since freshman year has been the attack position, but this season she is switching to midfield, the position she plays for PLC. Bowen has many aspirations for herself and the RJR varsity team for her senior season.  

For this season, I’m most excited for us to win conference again, and to hopefully compete against some stronger teams from outside of our area,” Bowen said. “We have a tougher schedule this year, but I think we’ll be able to rise to the challenges.”

Bowen has worked hard over the past seven years to develop and strengthen her game. She has lead the team by example for the past year as a co-captain, which she will do again this year.

“Libby is a role model to other players and the other girls look up to her,” assistant Reynolds varsity lacrosse coach Victoria Lomangino said. “She helps the other girls on the team learn how to do something better or the correct way to do something if the coaches don’t see it. She doesn’t do this because she has to, she helps out because she wants to.”

Bowen is an all star player that is always working on getting better and picking up the slack on the field.

“My favorite thing about Libby is that she’s such a hard worker,” Lomangino said. “She always tries to do what she can do to improve as a player or how to help change the way the team is playing.She is always looking to improve to be the best she can be and that is something I admire in a player.”

Libby leads by example and inspires her teammates to work harder to achieve their personal goals in growing in skill in the sport.

“She is a fantastic leader and an impeccable player,” fellow co-captain Carolina Harris said. “Her lacrosse IQ is so sharp so she really helps us see what we can improve on the field. She hustles and is one of the hardest working players I know.”

As Bowen’s time at RJR comes to a close she is looking forward to playing lacrosse for Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina.

“I am excited to go to Furman this fall,” Bowen said. “I originally did not want to visit Furman, but I ended up loving the campus and Greenville. After talking to the coaches, I knew that Furman was where I wanted to go.”

Bowen will be missed dearly on the lacrosse field next season for her leadership and incredible skills and by all of the students for her genuinity and smiling face around campus.

“Libby is an all around player,” Lomangino said. “When she has confidence it looks like she is floating out on that field. When she blows past defenders with her awesome dodges and stick skills it looks effortless.”

Photo provided by Libby Bowen