21 21 21 Savage Deportation

Harrison Hickman, Staff Writer

Atlanta Rapper Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, better known by his stage name 21 Savage was taken into custody by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) this month and is being deported back to his native country, the UK. Savage claimed to have been born and raised in Atlanta, a hotspot for up and coming rappers such as The Migos, Lil Baby, Gucci Mane and Gunna. It has just been released that 21 Savage came to the United States as a child on a visa, but that it had expired in 2006, thus making him an illegal immigrant. News of 21’s deportation has been met with a lot of controversy as many either sympathize with 21 or are glad that he is gone.

The student body at Reynolds has also been affected by 21 Savage’s deportation. Many students at RJR enjoy listening to 21 Savages music and hope that he will continue to produce music in the UK that will be available in the United States. Savage has had many hit songs that the students at RJR find inspiring and truthful. Some of 21 Savage’s most popular hits include,

A Lot, Bank Account, 1.5, Rockstar, Ric Flair Drip. From these songs Savage has built up a fortune from his music, he has managed to put up to 8 “M’s” in his bank account.

One student that continues to hope that Savage will make music is junior Blase Matheson.

“I hope he will continue to make music that will be available in the United States,” Matheson said.

Another hope for many across the country is that 21 will apply for another visa so that he can come back and work in the States. This hope is still a long shot though, as 21 does have a criminal record for felony drug charges in 2014 after his visa ran out in 2006. It’s a wonder that he has been able to stay in the country this long and it points out the flawed Immigration system in the United States. At one point, 21 took flying lessons and even piloted an aircraft in Florida as an adult with an expired visa.

The big question however is, will the United States grant him another visa if he applies again. The process of getting a visa is long and arduous and can take up to three years. Also, it is still unknown if the United States will even accept his application for a second visa.

“It’s hard to say whether he will obtain another visa, it is completely up to the discretion of the government,” civics teacher Troy Colvard said. “ Also, there is no inherent right to a visa so it is completely constitutional if the States denies him”.

The 21 Savage scandal has turned the Hip Hop world upside down, the deportation has put a sour note on a successful career. Fans and Artists alike are holding out hope that 21 Savage will make his way back to the United States.

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons