AIS James Slawter slays the game

Megan Curling, Editor-in-Chief

By Megan Curling

“Needless to say they weren’t great but I definitely enjoyed making them,” Reynolds senior James Slawter commented on his humble beginnings in filming.

Slawter has come a long way since the first time he started making videos with in the third grade. What started out as occasional skits and phone editing quickly became a hobby and soon, a passion.

“I’m planning on studying Film/Digital Art at UNCW [University of North Carolina at Wilmington],” Slawter said.

Taking a senior year course load of digital media, a cappella, AP statistics, AP government and politics, and AP literature is enough for some but not for Slawter. He is also a captain of the men’s cross country and track and field teams, assistant social manager and videographer for a cappella, and runs a YouTube channel.

“I just took over the channel for myself and started making funny gaming videos because that’s what I watched at the time,” Slawter added about the channel that initially started as a way for he and his friends to post videos.

With just over 10,000 subscribers, it is easy to see that there is a lot of talent present in video making.

“James has an interesting perspective for juxtaposing elements to create new meaning,” Career Center digital media teacher Mark Underwood said. “Along with his sense of humor, he has a light-hearted approach to life.”

Slawter easily sees making videos as something that the would like to do for the rest of his life.

“I’d always been interested in making money editing for people but once I started doing more practical real life filming like the Follies intro and things for Reynolds A Cappella and how much these groups of people benefitted from a person like me, I realized it wasn’t impractical to try and make this into a living,” Slawter said.

Last year, Slawter edited several videos for Reynolds A Cappella as well as making a campaign video for last fall’s  North Carolina 5th Congressional District Democratic candidate, DD Adams.

“The thing I’m most proud of that I’ve done in high school is probably either making the Follies intro or participating in ICHSA [International Championship of High School A Cappella] with the Acafellas. The sheer number of hours I put into both of these things was a lot but it was so worth it seeing the final results and getting so much positive feedback (even though ICHSA totally robbed us),” Slawter added.

With hopes to run while at Wilmington, Slawter has his eyes set on a bright and exciting future ahead.

“I’d really like to end up working for a production or film company that I grew up watching movies from like Marvel or Pixar in L.A. doing editing work, but I know that’s not super realistic… as long as I’m doing some kind of film/video work and I’m making money, I’ll be happy,” Slawter commented.

With his four years coming to a close, the future looks bright for James Slawter as he leaves Reynolds in May with lots of experience and support behind him.

“My biggest motivator has probably been my Dad because he loves guitars and was able to turn that into a feasible occupation by opening a guitar store downtown. He’s always believed in me and told me I could do whatever I put my mind to,” Slawter concluded.