Chem Teacher Extraordinaire, Ms. Nelson

Elizabeth Youssef, Editor-in-Chief

By Elizabeth Youssef

Chemistry: science that deals with the composition and properties of substances and matter. A daunting subject for most students and people. Thankfully for students at RJR, chemistry is a lot less scary because of honors chemistry teacher Shelby Nelson.

Nelson moved to Winston-Salem three years ago from Indiana and filled the honors chemistry position left open by Joshua Bragg, who now teaches AP Chemistry at Career Center. She is originally from Louisville, Kentucky and attended Western Kentucky University.

Though chemistry is a tough course, many of Nelson’s students get the extra push they need from her unwavering faith in them.

“What I loved most about Mrs. Nelson was how adamant she was about her students succeeding,” senior Caroline Harris said. “She was always willing to stay after school to help a student master a chemistry formula, or she would come in early to answer any homework questions and I really appreciated that.”

Nelson was drawn to Reynolds because of the beautiful architecture and history.

“I had seen the school in passing and thought it was a gorgeous school,” Nelson said. “The history of the school is really compelling.”

Besides her passion for teaching, Nelson enjoys hiking, camping, cooking, baking and is also an avid skier.

“The U.S. has so much to offer outdoors,” she said. “I would love to see the Pacific Northwest, Whistler and Acadia, Maine.”

Not only does Nelson love Winston because of the arts community but she also loves being part of the bridge to overcome racial divisions.

“I think that it’s also really similar to my hometown in the racial divisions,” Nelson said. “What I like about being at Reynolds is that you’re right in that. You are working in the racial tensions and working through the racial reconciliations in the midst of the school community which is a big deal.”

Students also admire Nelson because of her patience.

“I like how she’s always positive and really helpful,” sophomore Elizabeth White said. “She’ll always explain something to you, even if it’s for the 10th time.”

Two fun facts about Nelson are that she has various chemistry themed apparel such as earrings and a beaker mug and is also extremely messy in just about every aspect of life besides teaching.

Another thing that separates Nelson from others is her passion for students.

“What I like about teaching are the students,” Nelson said. “A lot of students share what’s happening in their lives and it’s really special to be invited into that and for a student to trust you enough to share that.”

Students love Nelson because of her commitment to seeing every student succeed. It is not an easy subject for students or an easy subject to teach but Nelson makes it look effortless.    

“Her class was not a cakewalk, but she made every resource available to us so we all had the ability to do well,” Harris said. “Mrs. Nelson was the one to convince me to move on to the next chemistry level at Career Center and I am so grateful that I did.”