The Annual Turkey Strut

Emelie Patti, Staff Writer

By Emelie Patti

The Turkey Strut is an annual Thanksgiving day race that families, friends and even pets enjoy to run on the special holiday. Thanksgiving is a day of counting your blessings and surrounding yourself with loved ones while you gobble down food until you get sick. There is no better way to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving morning than running in a race and burning off a few extra calories before you eat pounds of food.

The Turkey Strut brings the Winston-Salem community together during the holiday seasons. The Turkey Trot is from 7:30 AM to about 10 AM and is set up with the help of volunteers that will also provide food and drinks for the runners. Some of the students at RJR, who participate by volunteering, express how the Turkey Trot effects them on Thanksgiving day.

Sophomore Makenzie Thelen started volunteering last year to support the RJR Women’s soccer team. The team volunteers every year to spread joy and support throughout the community. When they volunteer they get money for their soccer program which helps them get uniforms and other necessities.

“I enjoy volunteering at the Turkey Strut because I get to see how much fun the people have running the race,” Thelen said. “You see how the event brings families together. I think it is a long standing tradition because people enjoy it so much, they enjoy doing it with their family on Thanksgiving.”

Certain runners will receive awards towards the end of the race along with the feeling of accomplishment and thankfulness. The awards will be given out to the Top 3 Overall Male and Female and Top 3 Overall Masters Male and Female. Along with being a great racing event, The Turkey Strut suggest that all participants bring at least three canned food items for donating to the Second Harvest Food Bank.

RJR history teacher John Clevenger has not run the race in a while but he still remembers how much the race impacted the community.

“I think it’s okay to have it on Thanksgiving because people’s hearts are in the right place and it brings families together on a day that we give thanks,”Clevenger said. “One of the most important things people are thankful for is our family.”

The race is a perfect opportunity for family time and holiday spirit. Since the race is a USATF certified course, final run times will go toward state and national records. The race will be at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds off Deacon Blvd right across the street from the BB&T Field/Stadium. This will be the 10 year anniversary since the beginning of the Turkey Strut where it has brought families, friends and neighbors closer together and creating memories.