Homecoming Review

Eliza Carlton, Features Editor

By Eliza Carlton

On October 6, Demons filled the Deaton-Thompson stadium student section from front to back in an unusually rowdy game.  Along with a 28-10 win for the football team against Davie High School, the homecoming court was recognized during halftime.

With homecoming festivities beginning at 5pm, students, parents and teachers gathered for a buffet style dinner and were able to enjoy a variety of performances by groups including Reynolds a cappella, band, cheerleaders and more. By kickoff, the stadium was buzzing with enthusiasm for the homecoming game.

Rowdy’s president Andrew Peterson felt that the hype around the Davie game was in part due to the extra large crowd of both parents and students.  

“I think that hearing your friends and fellow students supporting you that loudly and being that excited about your game gives you extra energy that’s tough to replicate,” Petersen said. “The rowdies section has been great but like always, I hope that more people will continue to come out to the games.”

The crowds enthusiasm must have inspired the football team, because they came out strong and didn’t hold back. Tre’von Murphy had an especially impressive game, helping lead the team to their big win.

“The team wanted to win and we put in work on and off the field,” Murphy said.  “My goal was to make it out and play the best football I could play. “We need to have that mindset for every game from now on.”

The homecoming court is determined through an online voting system, where students with a school email can nominate a girl of their choosing. This year, the court consisted of 15 girls, who each chose an organization to raise money for. Junior Winbourne Broughton was one of the girls nominated for her grade, and thought the overall experience was enjoyable.

“I decided to raise money for the Red Cross for Hurricane Florence relief,” Broughton said.  “My favorite part about homecoming was getting to meet new people that I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t been on homecoming court.”

During halftime, the homecoming court was recognized. Ultimately, senior Jada Jones was crowned Reynolds Homecoming Queen 2018. Reynolds senior Megan Curling raised over $2,000 for North Carolina’s Special Olympics, the greatest amount raised.. She was crowned Queen of Compassion, and was escorted by John Paynter.

As a whole, homecoming was a huge success. With a big win from the football team and thousands of dollars raised for charity, it was certainly a night to remember.  

Photo Provided by Robert Hill Photography