Netflix Originals a Hit

Eliza Carlton, Features Editor

By Eliza Carlton

House of Cards, Narcos, The Kissing Booth, Last Chance U; each of these unique movies and shows are examples of the increasingly growing list of Netflix Originals.  There will be a predicted 1,000 Netflix Originals available to users by the end of 2018,

This summer, two netflix original movies came out that were especially popular amongst teenagers.  First, “The Kissing Booth,” was released in May of 2018. Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer, told Vulture that the film is “one of the most-watched movies in the country, and maybe in the world.”  More recently, Netflix released “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” a romantic comedy that instantly hooked fans, despite the lower critic reviews.  

“My favorite netflix original is ‘To All the Boys I Ever Loved.’  I like it more than ‘The Kissing Booth,’” sophomore Elizabeth Marshall said.  “I hope that Netflix will create sequels to these originals in the future.”

However, some students are not impressed by the growing number of Netflix originals released, claiming that while  Netflix is releasing more, they are removing popular content like “One Tree Hill,” and “The Dark Knight.”

“Netflix originals are a hit or a miss. I would personally prefer Netflix bring back some of the old stuff on there, like ‘How I Met Your Mother,’” senior Hayden Jennings said.  

Though some students are not fans of the increasing number of originals, Netflix is earning more in revenue than ever before and reports show that this year the number of paying customers rose 25%.  Netflix appeals to people of all ages, including students and teachers alike.

“I like a lot of the Netflix originals,” RJR English teacher Heather Wiley said.  “I particularly like their reboot of Anne of Green Gables that they named ‘Anne with an E.’  They took the story to the dark places that the L.M. Montgomery novel overlooks in many ways.  I adore the gregariousness of the actress who plays Anne.”

With the success of recent Netflix originals and their current ideas in the works, viewers are looking forward to these future shows and movies to be released.

“I think Netflix should continue to increase the number of originals on their platform, because it will help them compete with other similar companies, and will hopefully yield another show as masterful as Storage Wars: Texas,’” RJR junior Noah Gottlieb added.

Photo Provided by Creative Commons