Pine Whispers

Fly, Eagles, Fly!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fly, Eagles, Fly!

Ben Westcott, Staff Writer

From the halftime show meme, to the close victory by the Eagles, this years Superbowl was deemed a success by many Americans. The two teams: the Eagles and the Patriots faced off in the NFL championships in a very close and exciting game. The Eagles, a known underdog, got the win by eight points, securing it at the end of the fourth quarter.

Tom Brady, quarterback for the New England Patriots, has been playing in the NFL for a while and is considered “a veteran” in the league. In his time playing in the National Football League, he has won five Super Bowl rings, three league Most Valuable Player award, as well as four Super Bowl MVP award, making him one of the most decorated NFL players in the league.

Nick Foles, quarterback for the Eagles, had to move up and play first string quarterback after Eagles star quarterback Carson Wentz tore his ACL during a game against the Los Angeles Forty Niners. With Wentz hurt, most people thought that the Eagles’ run would be over, but were proven wrong when the Eagles went on with Foles, who led the team the rest of the way to the top.

Throughout four quarters, the Eagles and Patriots were neck and neck, fighting to be on top, with strategic and strong defensive and offensive movements. At the end of the fourth, the Eagles secured the victory with a touchdown, which was contested by the refs, making the situation for some, more tense. The refs called the play as it stood and the Eagles got to keep their touchdown. In the last seconds of the the game, Tom Brady threw an interception, turning the ball over to the Eagles, which sealed the win.

Although the SuperBowl is mostly about the game, some viewers watch the Super Bowl for the creative commercials, or the halftime show. During the halftime show, when Justin Timberlake came out to perform, the camera focused on a kid that seemed to be solely focused on his phone and not what was happening right in front of him. This picture turned into a brief internet meme with people posting about it on social media.