Pine Whispers

Call Me By Your Name: Cinematic Excellence

Jeda Lee, Staff Writer

While the Oscars are still a month away, they are already a popular topic of conversation. With many big time movies nominated for well deserved awards, there was one movie that sparked an incredible amount of talk within the movie world.

Call Me By Your Name directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a sensual coming-of-age-story of two guys who spend the summer together in the small Italian town of Crema. Based on the 2007 book written by André Aciman, Call Me By Your Name shows a beautiful story of love and heartbreak.

Elio Perlman (Timotheé Chalamet) is a 17 year old boy who lives with his mom and dad who is a retired scholar and brings over special scholars to intern for him over the course of a whole summer. Oliver (Armie Hammer) is the 23 year old scholar that interned for Mr. Perlman this specific summer.

When Elio realized he had feelings for Oliver; he spent the whole time throwing hints and trying to figure out if Oliver felt the same. This critically acclaimed LGBT+ movie shows what it’s like to be in love, heartbroken, and experimental all at the same time.

Call Me By Your Name was nominated for three awards: Best Picture, to be taken home by Guadagnino, Best Actor to be taken home by Chalamet and Best Writing Adapted Screenplay, to be taken home by James Ivory.

The soundtrack made the movie even better. They landed singer/songwriter, Sufjan Stevens. According to Guadagnino, when asked to write a song for the movie, Stevens declined with a strong mind. With a little more persuasion Stevens wrote two songs: Mystery of Love and Visions of Gideon, as well as giving them the rights to use Futile Devices (remix). Along with Stevens work, the film was immersed in classical music and lots of piano works giving a nostalgic, elegant feel.

Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful coming of age, and representative film; hitting all the points around love, heartbreak and sexuality exploration. It is definitely a phenomenal breathtaking cinematic experience, that deserves all of its Oscars nominations and the hype surrounding the captivating film.