Feature: Academic Team

Feature: Academic Team

Alex Grosswald, Staff Writer

Academic team at RJ Reynolds is an elite group of scholars that compete against the academic teams of other schools. The members of this squadron specialize in many different subjects. Every team is incredible at RJR, but the general knowledge team is the one to watch this year.

General knowledge team members specialize in knowing any kind of trivia. They practice once a week to strengthen their team chemistry and to tighten up their skills. They only have nine matches in the regular season so there is no room to slip up.

“I love playing sports and engaging in the intense competition that comes with academic team,” general knowledge team member Caitlin Casey said.

Matches are intense and methodical with each team battling to outsmart the other. By the end, there is only one team standing who is crowned the victor.

“To win, we need to respect every opponent and focus on what we are doing. The coaches always establish an incredible game plan and we will win if our team can stick to it. We have the skill for sure though,” general knowledge team member Richard Dull says.

The next match for the team is against local Glenn High School. RJR is expecting to destroy them and are undergoing rigorous training so that they can deliver.

“Our goal for the year is to win the county championship in every subject and I believe we have players who are capable of doing just that,” head coach Scottie House said.

Having already beaten the first team they played, they are focusing on the next eight and eventually, the playoffs.

The county playoffs is where the all the teams meet consisting of three rounds. If you beat the team you play in every round, you are crowned the champion! As the season continues, RJR will only train harder ensuring that they crush every team they face.