Khalid: Roxy Tour

Emily Matthews, Staff Writer

Before 2017, many had not heard of Khalid. At the time, he was simply a boy with a dream. Since dropping his debut album, American Teen, his career has skyrocketed and thanks to his chart topping single “Location”, Khalid has officially earned his spot on the music map.

After earning a well deserved five Grammy nominations, of Best New Artist, Song of the Year, Best Urban Contemporary Album, Best R&B Song and Best Music Video, Khalid has announced his 2018 Roxy tour. This comes as an excitement to many who have been following his music since the beginning.

“I am really excited that he is coming… because he’s had a breakout year and he’s a phenomenal artist,” junior Brad Knight said.

Coming to Charlotte’s Metro Credit Union Amphitheater on May 23 and closing his run at Raleigh’s Red Hat Amphitheater on June 7, many RJR students are excited.

“I think he had a great debut album and I would love to see him in concert,” junior Alexis Hurley said.

The tickets for this much anticipated concert went on sale on December 2nd for roughly $60. The tour begins on the first of May in Portland, Oregon. To preview the tour, Khalid will play on January 27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

The Roxy tour gets its name from Khalid’s newly adopted Pitbull mix, Roxy. He adopted her from the Los Angeles animal shelter, and now he wants to give back. In honor of Roxy, a portion of every ticket sold will go to the local animal shelters in the cities where the concerts will be.

Khalid’s recent rise to fame seems to be due to nothing short of pure talent. If you are looking for an amazing artist with nothing but good reviews, this Roxy tour might be for you. Do not forget that the proceeds for the tickets due go to charity. It seems as though we can listen to good music and support a worthwhile cause!