Winston Native Harry Giles Continues the Triad Basketball Legacy

Photo courtesy of ESPN

Photo courtesy of ESPN

Alex Grosswald, Staff Writer

Harry Giles, a Winston Salem native, could be the best basketball player out of the area since Chris Paul. Giles was 2016’s number one high school basketball recruit and Wake Forest was in the list of schools he would be willing to play for. Giles selected Duke University and gained more and more national attention as his college career went on.

However, Giles’ career was slowed when he tore his ACL, MCL, and meniscus. After rehabbing appropriately and staying off his feet, he was able to return to the court in 2015 and once again become the dominant player he was before his injury. The unfortunate luck continued as he tore his other ACL later in that same season. Due to the injuries, he was out for 11 games of his freshman year. Taking a huge chance, Giles decided to enter the 2017 NBA draft in hopes a team would be willing to look past his recent injuries. In the end, Giles got drafted to the Sacramento Kings.  

“It is great to see a local kid get drafted into the NBA and try his hand at having a successful career,” senior Stephen Wilson said.

Giles has played in front of a lot great players and coaches. Analysts say that Giles excels at finishing around the rim and is incredible at defense because he is able to make a lot of plays due to his athleticism and 7’3 wingspan. Although there are a lot of strengths, some of his weaknesses include his former knee troubles, free-throw shooting and his strength.

“Harry Giles dominated in high school and did decent in college and I hope he achieves everything he wants to while in the NBA,” sophomore Noah Gottlieb said.

Giles has yet to log any minutes this year but he is gearing up for the games and is ready to play whenever his name is called. Giles has experienced extreme adversity but he gritted his teeth and got through it. Watching him in the future and seeing what he accomplishes will be exciting for all.