Reynolds Girls’ Golfers Make States

Sophia Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

Rebecca Connolly and Merrick Semans qualified for the state tournament by scoring below the cut line  score this past Regional Tournament Day. Connolly and Semans are both sophomores and have been playing golf for years, Reynolds golf coach Michael McCulloch is proud of his players for performing so well.

“I think they had the basics already and I just try to provide a positive, stress-free environment in which (they can) excel,” McCulloch said.

Connolly has been playing golf for eight years and has dedicated herself to improving in the sport and being the best she can.

“My favorite thing about playing golf is being outdoors and being able to spend time with my family and friends that play the game,” Connolly said, “I have loved playing on the Reynolds golf team because of the positive team environment that it has. I have also made some really good friends through golf.”

Connolly has set many goals for herself in her golfing career at Reynolds, such as, having a top 10 finish in the state championship this year and to finish in the top three before she graduates.

Semans goal at the beginning of the season was to qualify for the state championship and she is thrilled to know she has reached that goal.  A 4-year golf veteran, Semans also plays basketball and field hockey, but has decided to spend this year focused on golf and improving her game.

“I love how golf is such a mental game. Reynolds golf has introduced me to more competition and it has helped my game tremendously,” Semans said.

Semans’ ability to perform under pressure helped her secure spot, as well as a spot at regionals She is excited to participate in more tournaments post season.

McCulloch loves seeing his players succeed and is looking forward to to continued success of Reynolds golf.

“I look forward to us earning at least a second place finish in the CPC regular season again next year, and possibly having three golfers qualify for Regionals and States,” McCulloch said.