SGA is Here to Stay

SGA is Here to Stay

Isaac Cooper, Managing Editor

New year, new student government.  That is certainly the case now, as RJR has new SGA [Student Government Association] officials as a result of elections earlier this month.  

Students are eager to see what SGA will accomplish this year and have high hopes for their new representatives.

“They [SGA] need to reach out more to students,” junior Talise Coloñ.

However, there is a present doubt in the RJR student body of its effectiveness because it is student lead.

“[I feel like] people turn it into a popularity contest,” freshman Jeremy Jarvis said.

Despite this doubt, there are ways student government can be effective.  Aaron Cooper, RJR alum and 2015-2016 SGA Co-President, says that if there is communication and a close bond between school administration and student government, things can get done.

While Co-President with RJR alum John Babcock, Cooper enjoyed SGA for providing a platform for students to communicate with the faculty in a way that would otherwise not be there.  But, Cooper states that this platform would occasionally be compromised by a lack of communication and closure, leading to a feeling of  “unknowingness.”

“[John and I helped with] seniors leaving five minutes earlier.  As far as we know, it never happened…we would have liked to of known that was going to happen,” Cooper reflected.

Cooper goes on further by stating that maintaining this relationship between the SGA officials and the school administration is the key to success.  Moreover, student government officials should be ready to be perceived as “figureheads” and try to change this stigma.

“We hoped for more formal recognition.  We would work and have meetings, but in assuming the ‘figurehead’ role, we could not address issues…,” Cooper commented. “[My tip for the current SGA president is to] be more persistent.  Make sure to facilitate communication and closure.”