Sra. Smith Makes a Splash

Alex Grosswald, Staff Writer

Avis Williams-Smith came to Reynolds this year and has already made a great first impression. It has been less than a month since classes have started and Smith has already established a class that the students look forward to.

“I have always loved working with students and I get satisfaction watching my students accomplish their goals,” Smith said.  

Although Smith is new to Reynolds, she is very familiar with the teaching field.

“Previously, I worked in Florida and Virginia where I taught spanish classes of all levels,” Smith said. Whenever students walk in, they get greeted by an enthusiastic “hola”. Smith’s energy and passion for spanish create a learning environment that is fun and engaging.

“What makes Mrs. Smith such a good teacher is the fact that she understands that nobody is a perfect spanish speaker. When students get tripped up, she will guide us and work with us until we figure out what we wanted to say,” senior Emma Sweeney said.

Smith creates lesson plans that fully immerse the students. She believes that when kids are in class, all they should hear, see and engage in is connected to spanish.

“My students will be very diligent in their studies and use the language for the whole time they are in class. This allows the students to better understand the language and practice what they learn,” Smith said.

She also understands that nobody is fluent, but tries her best to teach everything she can.

“She has a lot of qualities that make her a great teacher, but the quality that stands out to me is her ability to teach the class so everybody knows what is going on. Often times, spanish teachers go at a speed the students can’t keep up with but Smith understands that we may need some extra explaining at times,” junior Strode Blanchard said.

Smith’s students are enthused about the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what she has in store as the year progresses.

“My passion for teaching and kids is what made coming to Reynolds really easy. I am expecting a great year with a lot of spanish and work along the way,” Smith said.