DACA in Danger

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

Emily Matthews, Staff Writer

DACA is a government implemented program, which stands for, “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.” It allows children of illegal immigrants, otherwise known as, “Dreamers,” to live in the United States without fear of deportation.  This program gives them a work permit as well. So why is everyone talking about it all of a sudden?

On September 5, 2017, General Attorney Jeff Sessions announced that President Donald Trump would be repealing DACA in the near future. This means that all 800,000 immigrants living in the US will be eligible for deportation. Trump claims that he is doing this because immigrants are “taking all American jobs,” and he believes that repealing this program will “greatly improve the economy.”

DACA was created in 2012 by President Barack Obama, who spoke out about the recent change regarding the federal program. Obama says that the act to remove DACA is “cruel” and “unjust”. Many believe that Trump is revoking DACA merely to upset the former president.

Many are on board with Obama. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella writes “We care deeply about the Dreamers who work at Microsoft and fully support them. We will stand for diversity and economic opportunity for everyone.” Nadella is not the only one. Many other companies, including Apple, Twitter and Amazon, are speaking out against the repeal of DACA. “I think that it is short sighted to repeal it and a real shame for all those young people who were going to have an opportunity for a better life” says AP US History Teacher, Mr. Clevenger. Student Stella Brendle also says “I feel as though  this is an unnecessary course of action being taken.”

So what will happen to Dreamers once DACA is repealed? Many will most likely be deported unless they apply for citizenship, which is a long, time consuming task. They will also lose their work permit, which is given to them in addition to being protected from deportation.

Dreamers are reacting, and they are not happy about this decision. After Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the repeal, protests broke out in front of the White House and Justice Department, as well as in many cities across the nation.

Trump claims that he will soon “revisit the issue” to see if something can be done for those affected by the DACA repeal. For now, however, Dreamers across America wait, anxiously, for the day they may get deported.