Fall Sports Update

Fall Sports Update

John Paynter, Staff Writer

Golf

Women’s Golf has had a successful start to their season. With two conference matches in their and second place finishes behind Reagan in their belt belt, they have finished three strokes ahead of West Forsyth in the first and two strokes ahead of them in the second match. Look out for junior Kennedy Vest, sophomore Merrick Semens, and Rebecca Connolly keeping their hopes up to play at the Regional match.

“I’m very proud of our 2nd place finishes so far,” Golf coach Michael McCulloch said. “Rebecca C. was our only Regionals qualifier last season, so I hope she has some company.”

Soccer

Men’s soccer is having a very promising start to their season with six games down and only one loss against West Forsyth, putting us at the top of the conference as West Forsyth already has two losses. They just recently had a 2-0 win against rival Mount Tabor High School. So far, it is looking this could be a State Championship kind of year.

“We are looking really strong this year,” Said coach Toni Sabio. “We’re hoping for a State Championship title.”

Cross Country

This cross country season is going to be a good one for Reynolds. They have had two meets including the Norman Trzaskoma Invitational (City/County Championship) and The Jungle Run. Recording a 2nd place finish at the Trzaskoma Invitational, just behind Mount Tabor, and a 3rd place finish at The Jungle Run behind Broughton and Chapel Hill.

“So far we’ve placed pretty well,” said coach David Wainwright. “I think a top 3 finish at States is not far from our grasp.”

Tennis

Women’s tennis is in full swing this season with six games played. With a record of three wins and three losses they are looking fairly strong this season. These next few weeks will show how where they fall in the Central Piedmont Conference (CPC), with matches against West Forsyth, Reagan and East Forsyth.

Volleyball

Volleyball has kicked off their season with six wins and two losses. Right now they sit third in the CPC just behind Davie High School and Reagan High School. This season is looking good for them, with a talented group of senior leaders as well as some strong, up and coming junior and sophomore talent.

Field Hockey

Field hockey has had a strong showing in their preseason matchups against Page High School and Northwest Guilford. Winning their first conference game against West Forsyth 1-0, the CPC season looks to be promising and after a very strong season last year it will be interesting to see how it plays out with strong leaders and captains graduating. With a couple of home games coming up it could give the athletes the advantage in these conference matchups.