Puryear Is Here!

Mr. Puryear patrolling the halls.

Jeda Lee, Staff Writer

Did you notice something different about Reynolds? It could be our new Assistant Principal, Eric Puryear. He replaced previous Assistant Principal Glenn Starnes who is now the principal at Gibson Elementary. Puryear is sure to bring his own style of assistance to ensure a great year at Reynolds.

Puryear is not new to the administrative spotlight. From 2016-2017 he was the assistant principal at Hickory High school. Teaching is not foreign to him either; he was Akins High School’s Business teacher from 2011-2014 and Paisley Middle school’s Business education teacher from 2012-2016. Puryear’s first week at Reynolds has been a great start.  

“My first week was pretty cool, I’m just still trying to learn the ropes. Reynolds is a big school,” Puryear said. “I’m just trying to learn who everybody is, learn all the faces, all the places and all the hiding places; I’m adjusting to it great.”

Along with being an Assistant Principal, Puyear is also well versed in the game of football. He has coached for many colleges and high schools, his most recent being Atkins High School for three years. With his head coaching skills and knowledge of the game being seen in his way of teaching and doing things, he is a natural leader.

“I think that as a head coach you are manager of people, not only students but also adults, like other coaches,” Puryear explained. “I think that prepares me in the fact that I understand how to work with other adults, and how to manage other adults and also understand how to get the most out of the students I work with.”

Being an assistant principal is much like being a football coach. You have to lead your team to success, in this case the school. Puryear always knew he would be moving to bigger and better things and does not settle for anything less than great.

“There are some noticeable differences being that as a coach you only have a football team but as an assistant principal you have the whole school,” Puryear stated. “So far I like Reynolds. I think Mrs. Alexander has it going in the right direction and the students seem to, right now be very good students; very conscientious about doing their school work. So far I’m enjoying my ride.”

Puryear is sure to leave a lasting impact on every school he encounters. He always has his student’s best interest in mind, not only that, but he is funny and easy to talk to making him a trustworthy adult in the school for students who need that and students are receptive of him.

“My objective is always making an impact, as a coach I made an impact with 5,200 student athletes; who have gone on, some gone to college to play football. You know you don’t forget those memories,” Puryear said. “But in the classroom you’re making an impact on maybe 200 or so students so as an assistant principal I have a bigger impact I can make.”