Pine Whispers

Comments (38)

All Pine Whispers Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

AmandaJan 11, 2015 at 10:58 pm

This was beautiful. You dont have to know someone for them to make a difference in your life. “As cool as the other side of the pillow” my fav quote from Stuart Scott. RIP. Demon Pride 99

Reply
  • N

nc23b4mjJan 11, 2015 at 7:33 am

Great job Sam! I look forward to following your future work.

Reply
  • T

Tim SparksJan 10, 2015 at 10:48 am

Great article. I had the pleasure of teaching and coaching some wonderful students at RJR. I was a teacher and coach there for 16 years. One of those awesome students was indeed your brother Stephen. I knew how much he struggled each day fighting cancer, but he never showed it. His work in class was surpassed only by his character and demeanor. I loved having him in class, and I wish I had 75 just like him right now. Stuart and Stephen would have been very good friends at RJR, I have no doubt. I was honored to be a Demon for so long, and I still love black and gold.

Reply
  • B

Bradley Greene (Class of 1981)Jan 8, 2015 at 11:27 am

Great job!

Reply
  • K

Kittye CagleJan 8, 2015 at 9:26 am

The comment by anonymous was interesting. I wonder if he went to RJRHS or even knew Stuart. I worked there for 28 years and was there when Stuart was a student. If you didn’t go to Reynolds, you have no idea of the school spirit and bond the students have always had even after they graduate. It is a very special place. Stuart embodied that spirit. He was a standout even among 1200 other students. He was a great student — intelligent, charismatic and energetic. I feel privileged to have known him. This article is a great tribute to Stuart and his memory.

Reply
  • T

Tamara AkinboJan 8, 2015 at 5:43 am

Extremely proud of you and your work Sam! Oh what a future you will have! Sra. Akinbo

Reply
  • D

David PetersonJan 7, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Great writing Sam.
    Very nice tribute, and message about love of Family, and a valiant fight against Cancer.
    David

Reply
  • P

Phyllis DunningJan 7, 2015 at 10:05 am

Thank you, Sam, for your beautifully written tribute to Stuart. My life has been so blessed by years of classroom experiences with amazing students, and I so treasure remembrances of Stuart and his classmates.

Reply
  • L

Lucy CashJan 7, 2015 at 8:46 am

Powerfully written. Proud to know you, Sam.

Reply
  • J

Jerri Campbell EvansJan 6, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Stuart was a classmate of mine at Reynolds. Stuart was a very nice young man. I pray strength to his family. He will be missed by all. Thank you for writing this article about him. This was a great tribute to Stuart.

Reply
  • R

Robbin Spencer Dunthorn '82Jan 6, 2015 at 3:54 pm

These solid heartfelt words you have written depict RJR alums since the beginning of time! The bond RJR gives us all is stronger and more meaningful than most any other relationships encountered in life. Thanks for your passionate words for such a talented, loving, respected man and the school he called home. Amid the pines She proudly stands! Peace be with all who read this.

Reply
  • J

Julie CunninghamJan 6, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Nicely done, Sam. You presented Mr.Scott with grace and dignity and captured the spirit of his fight against cancer. Thank you for sharing openly your dreams of how you want to live and the desire to emulate your predecessor at Reynolds High School. I was privileged to be a counselor at RJR during Stephen’s student days, so I am fully aware of the wonderful character traits that run through the Doughton clan. All the best to you for the remainder of high school and beyond.

With kind regards,
    Julie Cunningham

Reply
  • J

Jim HolmesJan 6, 2015 at 2:59 pm

What a wonderful and moving tribute! Having attended RJR (1970) and UNC-CH (1974) gives me a special kinship to this wonderful man, though I never met him. But he makes us all proud to be associated with him, and we are all better off for having him in our lives. God bless Stuart and his family.

Reply
  • K

KTJan 6, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Wow….what a terrific article. Couldn’t believe it when I got to the end and it mentioned that you are a current high school student….I thought perhaps it was written special for the school paper by an alum who went to school with Stuart. Extremely poignant and well written. Kudos!

Reply
    • J

Jeff SchreiberJan 6, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Agreed! Great article and thank you Sam!!

Reply
  • J

Jeff SchreiberJan 6, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Stu was my high school classmate, my football teammate and captain, and friend. We at RJR knew he was destined for greatness. He was as genuine then as he was throughout his career. I’m thinking today of one of his signature ESPN phrases “The Lawd said you got to rise up”

Reply
  • T

Theo HelmJan 6, 2015 at 8:10 am

Great story and great writing.

Reply
  • S

Stephen ScottJan 6, 2015 at 5:07 am

Sam, that was a beautiful tribute, I know that Stuart loved his time at RJR! Tell your brother Stephen that Stuart would be proud of him he would be proud of you and you are living your life in the exact way he would want you to. On behalf of our family, Especially his sisters and I (all RJR Alumni) thank you!

Reply
    • J

Jeff SchreiberJan 6, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Stephen:
      Please know we are all so sorry for your loss and our prayers go out to you and your family. The genuine sorrow and gratitude expressed by so many thousands of people is testament to his legacy and to what a good family he came from.

Reply
  • A

A.L. "Buddy" Collins RJR '75Jan 6, 2015 at 1:13 am

nice work….you provided an angle to the story which needed to be heard….great pictures too……” a school of great tradition….gives us all ambition”

Reply
  • B

Betsy Styers PaulJan 6, 2015 at 12:26 am

I was also moved by the media coverage of Stuart Scott’s death and all of the touching yet genuine tributes. It is amazing how just one reference to RJR as his alma mater immediately filled me with pride and a sense of community among all of us that spent so much time in those hallowed halls amid the pines.

Sam, I am again touched and filled with pride! Thank you for a wonderful tribute and showing us that RJR and Scott’s legacies will continue for generations to come!

Reply
  • S

Susan ScottJan 6, 2015 at 12:17 am

Sam,
    I am one of Stuart’s sisters and am also an RJR alum. You nailed Stuart’s essence. My family and I are pleased overtime we learn of Stuart’s positive influence in others’ lives.
    you have a bright future ahead.
    Best regards,
    Susan Scott

Reply
    • J

Jeff SchreiberJan 6, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Susan: please know we are all so sorry for your loss and our prayers go out to you and your family. Stuart was much loved and was a national treasure.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousJan 5, 2015 at 11:50 pm

i think that in this time of great tragedy, reynolds has made it about themselves and not Stuart Scott. It’s not about how many hits the pine whispers website can get, it’s about a man who died and the legacy he left on the world, and this story did a great job of portraying that. Ignore how many times this story gets read, and think about what is truly important in life.

Reply
  • K

Kimberly T DeatonJan 5, 2015 at 11:43 pm

I am moved by the eloquence of this young man whose family has lived this. Both families understand the strength to live through the daily struggle against cancer.

Reply
  • J

Jim TooleJan 5, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Really impressive work. Thanks for sharing.

Reply
  • P

Peggy Shugart DickeyJan 5, 2015 at 9:29 pm

As a class of 82 Alum, the news of Stuart’s passing hit hard this weekend. He touched so many lives in so many ways. This article is a wonderful tribute to him and his legacy.

Reply
  • L

Linda HillJan 5, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Thank you for your heartfelt tribute as well as a well written article!

Reply
  • J

Julia Martin DoudJan 5, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Thank you for a wonderful article about a wonderful human being. My favorite ESPN moment was when my husband and I were fortunate to hear Stuart talking about Reyshawn Terry and Othello Wilson, both RJR grads on national TV and Stuart starts singing “Amid the pines she proudly stands…” . We were so amazed and excited and started laughing so hard. It was so sweet and heart felt. We will never forget that moment as long as we live. We will miss you Stuart Scott. Class of 1972

Reply
    • J

Jeff SchreiberJan 6, 2015 at 12:59 pm

That is so awesome.

Reply
  • J

Jenn Pegg HarrisonJan 5, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I love your honesty Sam. You’re a mature writer. I hope this somehow makes it to Stuart’s family. If I were them, I’d love to read it.

Reply
  • M

Martha LogemannJan 5, 2015 at 9:06 pm

That was such an outstanding class. Note that John Fleer, chef and owner of Rhubarb in Asheville and award winning director, Michael Wilson are in the student council photo. It always makes me smile to think of the many, many young people who have graduated from that great high school.

Reply
  • K

Kevin MauneyJan 5, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thank you so much, Sam. Alumni, such as Mr. Scott and your cousin, make all Reynolds parents proud that their children also walked the same halls. Plus, your writing skills convince us that RJR continues to provide a wonderful education for its current students. Keep writing, young man!

Reply
  • T

Terry OberleJan 5, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Exceptional writing, even more exceptional self-awareness. Your family should be proud, and I think Stuart Scott would have been proud of his influence on Stephen. Keep your standards high.

Reply
  • J

Joyce CarterJan 5, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Sam, I hope you know how eloquently and beautifully you expressed all our sentiments regarding Stuart Scott. Thank you for your wisdom and insight and elegant prose. I don’t know when I’ve been as proud to be an RJR alum as I am right now! Keep up the excellent work!
    JRCarter, class of ’78

Reply
  • K

karel chandlerJan 5, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Oh my, what a wonderful tribute to a RJR alumni!! You proved by this article that you a future in writing and I can not wait to see what the future holds for you.
    Thank you so much for that wonderful tribute to
    Stuart Scott.
    karel chandler

Reply
  • B

Beverly EmoryJan 5, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Your work is excellent. I am very proud you represent our school system!

Reply
Activate Search
The Student News Site of RJ Reynolds High School
Commentary: Remembering Stuart Scott in words and photos