Pine Whispers

Comments (2)

All Pine Whispers Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• S

SantiagoNov 4, 2021 at 9:50 am

Even if we aren’t allowed to leave campus we should be able to order food. I have a very restrictive diet and couldn’t eat the school lunch if i wanted to, regardless of it being free this year.

Even when there are more customizable lunches you’re required to get meat (even if you have beans, which are a protein) and the salad bar would be just lettuce and dressing if we were allowed to get just that. As well as get milk unless you’re intolerant or allergic.

Even the snacks for purchase are all covered in cheese or contain eggs/dairy.

This means i have to spend time on my weekends if I’m prepping for the week or, more often than not spend time after school making my lunch for the next day. And let me tell you. It’s hard if not basically impossible to keep food any type of hot or warm from 7-8am to 12-2pm, depending on what time you leave and what time your lunch is.

Even with thermos’ and high quality lunch boxes

Reply
  • S

Scott SandersOct 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Just seeing this article and had to smile while reading and reminiscing over my own “lunch” experiences at Reynolds (Class of ’77).

It was a two year school then and so most students had their license and drove to school. Parking was an extreme issue and to secure a spot with the least amount of walking was not the issue as much as securing a spot period.

Given that, choosing to leave campus for lunch was often a critical decision in terms of losing one’s parking spot. Indeed, we had an open campus and a 45 minute lunch period to exploit our culinary desires. Seems every other day 5 or 6 kids would pile into one of those “float boat” cars (cars then were large enough to live in) and race off to one of the two nearby barbecue restaurants or the iconic Hardees. Even with 45 minutes, we barely had the time to make the roundtrip and find another parking space upon our return. I’m not sure how today’s students could achieve that within their limited 25 or 30 minute allocated time. I recall then, just as I’m certain is the case now, students consistently trickling back to class late and on occasion having accidents while rushing to and fro.

I do understand the school’s position, just as I understand the students’ desire to get away if even briefly from the daily routine of class structure. Probably a better battle to take up is why students can no longer sit on the circular wall at the front entrance for lunch. A spot on that wall was just as prized as a coveted parking space. That entrance wall was the social hour spot while the landing was designated more for smoking. But then again, that’s another story altogether.

Reply
Activate Search
The Student News Site of RJ Reynolds High School
Commentary: Off-campus lunches pose no risk to students, school